I decided to try Light Yaki which resembles relaxed African American Hair. I got a 12" lace frontal wig cap and 3 bundles of 12" Light Yaki Hair. The bundles were black and the hair on the lace frontal was brown so I had to dye it. I also bleached the knots on the lace frontal.
Pros of lace frontal wig cap:
1)It makes wig making super easy and fast.
Cons of lace frontal wig cap:
1) Since it is not custom made for my head it is too big for me, the ear flaps fall over my ears instead of right before my ears. I cut a part off on both sides of my ears so it fits properly
2) There is not a lot of parting room unlike a regular lace frontal.
Styling my Frontal
The first day I wore my lace frontal wig, i vowed never to wear a lace frontal again. I was so conscious because I felt everyone could see the line of demarcation. As the days went on, i became better at applying the lace frontal using Got2b Ultra Glued and the blasting freeze spray.
I have been wearing my wig everyday for a month (except on weekends, i wash my wig and wear my kinky curly clip ins).
The gel makes your wig lay flat. I have an elastic band attached to my wig and i tried wearing my wig without the gel and it does not lay as flat. I do not recommend wearing a frontal without this gel unless your frontal is sewn down. This gel is truly the lace frontal savior.
Got2b Gel Claims
1) You can get up to 3 days hold with this gel and spray. This is kind of true in my experience. Using both the gel and freeze spray i have gotten several days hold but i had to do touch ups on some areas of my frontal. The only way to get 3 days hold is if you do not allow water anywhere near your hairline for 3 days. I wash my face everyday to remove my makeup so this is impossible.
2)You need both the gel and the spray. No! The gel on its own provides good hold but using the gel + spray gives a stronger hold. I was worried about creating tension on my edges and hairline when i used both. I do not recommend wearing this for days on end without washing it off. I prefer to wash this off everyday or at most every 2 days. I only use the gel+freeze spray together on special occasions or when i go on a trip.
How I apply Got2b Gel + Freeze Spray
1) I apply a thin layer of the gel on my hairline, wait for a minute then I apply a second layer wait a few seconds and i apply my wig and tie it down with a satin scarf. This is the key to getting it to stick, TIE IT DOWN!! I leave it tied down for at least 15 mins. (I do not use a blowdryer).
The truth about Lace frontals
- Lace frontals look flawless in instagram pictures and on YouTube, but in reality you have to put in work to hide the line of demarcation.
- They are high maintenance compared to lace closures because it takes more effort to make it look realistic. They are better for special occasions not everyday wear.
- You need some baby hair to hide the line of demarcation but not long excessive gelled down baby hairs..
- The gel is not waterproof so if you work out, sweat or it rains your lace may lift in a few areas.
- The gel is clear but if you use too much of the freeze spray it can leave a white residue.
- Washing off the gel daily is a messy process and it gets tiring.
- None of your hair is left out so it is a good protective style.
I am going to wear my wig for 2 more months and then i will provide my final verdict on Lace Frontals. Stay blessed :)