Reveal: My Real Hair

I like wearing hair extensions but I am also passionate about taking good care of my Natural Hair. I have always had "good hair" or that is what people always tell me. What I know for sure is that growing long black hair takes a lot of time and commitment. I am originally Nigerian and I have been relaxed since I was 14.
I relax my hair every 4 months (3 times a year). I use Soft & Beautiful Just For Me Kids Relaxer. This is the same relaxer I have used since I was 14 and I continue to use till date.
For the past year, I have been too busy to dedicate a lot of time to my natural hair and it shows because I am experiencing a lot of shedding, breakage and I have split ends. I also think wearing weave extensions led to a lot of breakage because the extensions were directly sewn onto my hair.

So I am making a brand new commitment and starting my Hair Growth Journey over and I pledge to take care of my hair and get back to my hair care routine. This routine includes deep conditioning once a week ad moisturizing and sealing every night before I go to sleep.

My hair at its best was Bra Strap Length (When Flat ironed straight),with healthy tips and edges.
My hair is freshly shampooed, conditioned and air dried in this picture (April 2010)
Right now my hair is quite a few inches above my bra straps, my ends are thin and I am experiencing a lot of shedding to the extent that I am afraid to comb my hair :(

My Hair Now: October 2011
To kick of my new Hair Growth Journey, I have decided that I will only wear 3/4 wigs from now on. It is fall season now and the weather is colder so I will use 3/4 wigs as a protective style. They are much more versatile than sew-in extensions because you can take them off as often as you wish to tend to your natural hair.

UPDATE: I tried a Egg Treatment on my hair on October 10th, 2011 and my shedding has reduced. So if you are experiencing excessive shedding you should try the egg treatment. All I did was whisk one egg and apply it to my scalp and hair. Then I covered my hair with a disposable shower cap and left it in for 1 hour. After that, i rinsed it out with lukewarm water and applied Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Moisturizing Conditioner to my hair. I left that in for about 10 minutes then rinsed out with cool water.


My next step is to cut off about two inches . The split ends have to go!!!!
Update coming soon a month from now in November 2011!!

1 comment:

DIY : Kinky Straight Blow Out Wig

Revisiting my favorite texture of all time... kinky straight. This time I constructed my own wig with two 16 inch bundles and a 12 inch lace...