Hair Extensions Debate: Does Brazilian Hair Really Exist?

Here's a funny pic someone sent to me on BBM last week.

There's been a lot of debate on black hair forums, YouTube etc. on the origin of Virgin Brazilian Hair Extensions. Brazilian hair is probably the most sought after type of hair extensions for African (American) women at this very moment. This is because the texture blends well with the texture of  African (American) hair.

So the debate is on the true origin of Brazilian Hair. A lot of people would argue that "Brazilian Hair" is not from Brazil. Some argue that it is originally Chinese/Indian hair that is processed to a texture that is then referred to as "Brazilian Hair".

Where do I stand on this debate?
Real Brazilian Hair does exist, but it is very pricey. What I'm sure of is that it's probably not available in mass quantities like Indian Hair. We all know that there is a large number of consumers of Brazilian Hair and a equally increasing number of companies selling Brazilian Hair. So it's pretty obvious that not all " Brazilian Hair" on the market is collected directly from Brazil. I also think that Indian Hair is often processed to different textures: Brazilian, Malaysian, Mongolian, Peruvian hair etc.

Next is the "Virgin" debate.  Hair is often steam process the hair to get a certain wave or curl pattern and some people say this means the hair not "Virgin". So the Virgin aspect depends on what your own definition of Virgin is.

I jumped on the "Brazilian Hair" bandwagon a little over 2 years ago and the origin or "Virgin" debate doesn't bother me at all. What is important to me is that the hair extensions I purchase are good quality, tangle & shedding free and blend well with my real hair.

Conclusion is if you want Real Brazilian Hair, it doesn't come cheap.

THIS YouTube video inspired this post.

If you have anything to add, please do so in the comment section :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

DIY : Kinky Straight Blow Out Wig

Revisiting my favorite texture of all time... kinky straight. This time I constructed my own wig with two 16 inch bundles and a 12 inch lace...